We’ve had 30 YOTA conversations since January 2022. We’re preparing together, learning together, and scheming together! Be part of our community arts movement: register for our weekly updates and join in!
OUR UPCOMING WINTER SESSIONS
- JAN 31 – Daisy Art Parade Artmaking Night, 7 PM at Art Rat Studios
Join Artist in Residence Brian Counihan for a hands-on introduction to the Daisy Art Parade. Connect with other artists and make art while getting a taste of what’s in store for the community with the Inaugural Daisy Art Parade on April 15! Learn more about the Daisy Art Parade and sign up for the newsletter here. Art Rat Studios, Building 10, Roanoke Industrial Center, Roanoke S.E, Roanoke, VA 24013
- FEB 4* – Group to Goal Facilitation Training, (Saturday, 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM)
Take advantage of this free facilitation training with a group of your YOTA colleagues. The session will help you be more confident in managing group processes related to your current projects and prepare you to respond to future community arts opportunities. Mountain View Recreation Center, 714 13th St. SW. Register here.
- FEB 7, 6 PM* – The Silver Lining in Grey Skies: Turning Challenges into Stepping Stones. The creative spirit loves to see life through the lens of curiosity, exploration, and the courage to make something new. Learn how to use these natural gifts to accept and move through times of growth and change. Hosted by Kathryn Schnabel. Art on 1st, 300 1st Street, SW. Register here.
- FEB 15 (This one’s a YOTA Wednesday!), 6 PM – Dance Español for Artists,
Join Coach Pedro Szalay of an interactive look behind the scenes at Dance Español, a project the artistic director of Southwest Virginia Ballet developed to engage Roanoke 4th graders in exploring the community around them through movement and the Spanish language. We’ll gather at the Star City School of Ballet (1005 Industry Ave. SE) for movement and inspiration.
- FEB 21 – Municipal Building Gallery Talk: St. Lo, France, 6 PM
Join Roanoke Valley Sister Cities and our Roanoke self-portrait artists for a conversation about how art builds bridges around the world and in our city. There will be more sessions in subsequent months on the third Monday of each Month. We’ll meet in the lobby of 215 Church Ave. SW. Self-portrait artists: sign up to talk about your work here.
- FEB 28* – Local Food, Local Art, online, 7 PM
Join YOTA Coach, Katie Trozzo, and Maureen (Mo) McGonagle of LEAP (Local Environmental Agricultural Program), both on the leadership team of the Roanoke Foodshed Network (RFN), to hear about the RFN and the intersections of art and food in our community. This conversation will feature a number of YOTA artists already working in this area and upcoming opportunities for artists to engage in work that supports food systems in Roanoke. Please register here.
- MAR 3-5 – Arts Pop at the Taubman
Artists in residence and Art Matters Grantees are invited to spend a few hours at the Taubman Museum engaging visitors in their work during the annual Arts Pop celebration of art in Roanoke.. We’re looking for hands-on activities to fill slots Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon. Sign up here.
- MAR 7 – Art and the Neighborhood: Activating emerging centers
In December, City Council approved the Emerging Neighborhood Centers Vision Report. This spring we’ll stick our toes in the waters of this study and its recommendations. Guided by artist in residence Polly Branch and City staff, we’ll look at what’s ahead and how art can play a role in getting things started.
- MAR 14* – Finding Agreement: Decision-Making Processes for Greater Success, 6 PM. Learn simple facilitation techniques that ensure all voices are heard and that decisions reflect the needs of those most affected by your work. We’ll explore the what, why, when, and how of participatory decision-making process and will provide an opportunity to practice during the session. YOTA coach and Roanoke Foodshed Network (RFN) leadership team member, Katie Trozzo, will lead this workshop open to both the YOTA and RFN communities. Katie learned participatory decision-making approaches through her graduate work at Virginia Tech and has facilitated processes with groups and networks for the last 10 years. Grandin CoLab, 1327 Grandin Road, SW, Register here.
- MAR 22 – (Special this week – YOTA Wednesday!) Dance Español at Berglund Center
Following up on YOTA Coach Pedro Szalay’s (DATE TBD) presentation, we’ll join Roanoke fourth graders and their families as they take to the Berglund Center Performing Arts Theatre Stage. Don’t miss this free and powerful celebration of our youth and movement in exploring and bettering the community around us.
Download our Very Brief Guide to YOTA Conversations
or just start digging around the conversations below.
ARCHIVE: OUR SESSIONS TO DATE
- JAN 17 – 2023 Kick-off & Call Overview (online)
Project progress, calls for new projects, and an overview of our winter and spring events! Watch the video here.
- JAN 24 – Eureka Park Input Session, 6:30 PM, in person
Join Artist in Residence Robyn Mitchell and the Eureka Park Redevelopment Team of Play Roanoke to hear what the community wants its new center in Eureka Park. How can art help engage residents and shorten the distance between the public and the decisions that affect them? Join us and be part of the exploration. Just show up! No registration needed. Roanoke Academy of Math and Science, 1616 19th Street NW
- SEP 13 – Intro to Coaches & Resources (Video)
- SEP 20 – Art Matters Projects (Video) – an introduction to a number of Art Matters grantees and projects
- SEP 27 – Project Scoping & Planning (Video) – Getting started on creating community change! We dig into some of the basics of planning your project to advance our community.
- OCT 4 – Building a Budget (Video) – Your #1 planning and management tool.
- OCT 11 – From Artist to Business Owner (In person, video not available)
- OCT 18 – Hosting Effective Meetings as Community Artists (Video)
- OCT 25 – Expanding Your Work as an Artist & Collaborator (In person, video not available)
- NOV 1 – Coaches’ Call 1 – (Video)
- NOV 8 – Art as Creative Problem Solving – (Video)
- NOV 22 – Meet the Artists in Residence – (Video)
- NOV 29 – Art to Business: Steps to Opening up Shop in Roanoke* – (In Person, no video)
- DEC 6 – Art Matters Q&A – (video) –
- DEC 13 – YOTA Winter Social – (In person, video not available)
JUNE 2022 YOTA Sessions
- Session 1, June 7 – Artist Groundwork from HANDBOOK section one
- Session 2, June 14 – Artist Groundwork from HANDBOOK section one
- Session 3, June 21 – Community Groundwork from HANDBOOK section two
Spring 2022 Book Discussion
- April 11 – May 9 – Designing Creative Communities (Notes here)
WINTER 2022 Sessions
- Jan. 25 – YOTA 1: Kickoff – Program Overview
- Feb. 1 – YOTA 2: Artists at the Table and in the Community
- Feb. 8 – YOTA 3: The Artist as Leader
- Feb. 15 – YOTA 4: Partnerships & Collaborations
- Feb. 22 – YOTA 5: Building on Assets & Resources
- Mar. 1 – YOTA 6: Creativity and Well-being
- Mar. 8 – YOTA 7: Artist in Residence Opportunities
- Mar. 15 – YOTA 8: Artist in Residence Opportunities 2
Register here to show your interest, and we’ll make sure to include you as we build our cadre of community artists. The Year of the Artist is funded by the City of Roanoke and the National Endowment for the Arts.