The Roanoke Co+op, the Roanoke Arts Commission, and the Grandin Village Business Association are seeking exhibition-ready installation pieces and will unveil the Grandin Village Art Walk in the spring/summer of 2022. The project will be a multi-mural installation comprised of nine (9) separate murals to be installed on the south facing wall of the Roanoke Co+op, in the main alley way of Grandin Village.
Murals will be 10’ x 10’ (six) and 5’ tall x 10’ wide (three). Murals will not be painted directly onto the brick wall, but instead be painted on either two 5×10 MAXMETAL panels for the 10’ x 10’ murals, or one 5’ x 10’ panel for the three smaller murals.
Artists will be required to paint with oil-based paints that are designed to withstand outdoor conditions, specifically temperature fluctuations and sun exposure. The panels are pre-primed low sheen white and will bond well to any good quality oil based, outdoor rated paint.
Interested artists have been assigned a theme for their piece.
Now artists must submit a 2’ x 2’ mockup design (for 6 large murals) or a 1’ tall x 2’ wide mockup design (for 3 small murals) in pen/pencil/colored pencil of their proposed Art Walk piece. Mockups will be received and reviewed by a panel of project stakeholders.
After all mockups are received and reviewed, the final nine (9) artists will be chosen to complete their designated mural as part of the Art Walk final installation.
- After an artist receives their theme designation, the artist will be responsible for submitting mockup for review by designated deadline for draft submissions – midnight on Tuesday, November 23rd.
- If an artist is selected, the artist is responsible for finding their own secure workspace that can fit at most, one or two 5’ tall x 10’ wide panels needed to create their final piece.
- Artist will be responsible for securing all paint necessary to complete their final submission.
- Artist will be responsible for delivering final mural pieces for installation by designated deadline.
- Artists who create an approved 10’ x 10’ mural will receive $1000.
- Artists who create an approved 5’ x 10’ mural will receive $850.
Submit draft mockup by midnight on Tuesday, November 23.
Artists will be notified by Friday, January 7.
Panels will be available on Friday, January 21.
Submissions for final installation of full size pieces on Thursday, March 31.
FINAL INSTALLATION DETAILS
- Works must be two-dimensional and ready to be framed and hung by the Art Walk installation team.
- Work must be in weather resistant oil-based paints.
- Dimensions will be 10’ x 10’ (2 panels), or 5’ tall x 10’ wide (1 panel)
- Selected mockups must be delivered in person or submitted digitally to the Art Walk installation committee (see deadline above).
- Work will be prominently displayed for a minimum of ten (10) years in southwest Virginia’s most prominent boutique, pedestrian, mixed use commercial district – the historic Grandin Village.
Final mockups will can be delivered in person or emailed as a PDF or Dropbox. If you have trouble with the form, need to submit a handwritten copy, our wish to send your mockup digitally, contact: Doug Jackson, email@example.com, at (540) 853-5652, or Ian Fortier, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (540) 345-6377.
Artists and contributors are not required to be residents of the City of Roanoke, but the work must directly address the theme as it relates to our city. Works will be juried by a selection panel of citizens, stakeholders, community leaders, and arts commission representatives. Criteria includes artistic merit and representation of theme. Collectively, the images will communicate as broad as possible portrayal of the theme and our community.
The exhibition will run from Summer 2022 for a minimum of ten (10) years on the Roanoke Co+op flagship store in Grandin.